Purpose: The purpose of the MPA grant program is to deploy the earnings from the MPA endowment fund. The grants will be used to directly support Missouri state parks and nonprofit partners through a grant program that increases access, education, and stewardship.
Primary Focus Areas
- Grants for Missouri State Parks and/or nonprofits that are helping change the narrative of outdoor exploration and are addressing issues of representation and access of underrepresented and underserved communities.
- Trail signs, information panels, guides, maps, and materials that inform and broaden visitors’ park and historic site experiences.
- Funding for educational opportunities and job training for Missouri State Park employees.
- Grants to Missouri state park and historic site Friends groups and nonprofit conservation organizations for projects that improve facilities, build and maintain trails, restore habitat, or preserve cultural resources.
Geographic Area Served: Missouri State Parks and Historic Sites
Guidelines and Eligibility:
Grants to Missouri State Parks and to nonprofit organizations certified as tax exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the U.S. Internal Revenue Code. If you are not a 501(c)(3), Fiscal Agent to receive funds will be accepted.
Programs or projects need to align with the primary focus areas.
Proposal applications and project evaluation reports shall be required and will follow a format to be developed by the MPA board of directors.
Only proposals directly benefiting, through education or stewardship, or involving, through access to Missouri State Parks or State Historic Sites, will be considered.
Projects should align with the Conceptual Development Plan of the state park or historic site or be approved by the director of state parks or designee.
The grant program guidelines may be revised by the MPA board of directors.
Grants are not made:
To organizations discriminating against certain groups or individuals in the delivery of programs and services on the basis of race, color, religious creed, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, ancestry, national origin, or disability.
For propagandizing, influencing legislation and/or elections; for political candidates, political campaigns; for litigation.
For sponsorships, tables, or tickets for special events or fundraising events.
Grant Cycle Dates:
- September 1, 2022: 2023 grant cycle opens.
- December 15: Applications for grant proposals close. All proposal materials are due. Scan and email to MPA at email@example.com or mail (must be postmarked by December 15, 2022) to P.O. Box 8531, Kansas City, MO 64114.
- January: Committee completes the application review and makes grant awards.
- February: All applicants will be notified about grant status.
- March 1 – March 15: Checks will be mailed to recipients upon receipt of signed grant agreements.
- December 1, 2023: Evaluation report due to MPA (form provided by MPA) (including any unused funds).
Click here for the 2023 grant application.